Monday 29 September 2014

Eat, Walk, Shop

Three days in Vancouver and I really did very little other than eat, walk and shop. On one day alone I walked 24,077 steps, or 15.72 kilometers. This is according to my Fit Bit. I walked from downtown to the West End, to Gas Town and Chinatown. Glorious walking weather with the warmth of the sun and the slight coolness of the air joining to create a perfect temperature.  

Along the walks were street performers, artists and a "Gumhead" which is a seven foot high head created by Douglas Coupland as an art instalation outside the art gallery. It is an interactive piece of art where people have been sticking their chewed chewing gum all summer.  The result is Gumhead. 


Another walk took me past the apartment building I lived in in 1968/69. It looks a little worn but is still standing. It holds many wonderful memories. 


Every trip to Vancouver involves several restaurants. This one was no exception. There was Japanese food at Osaka Sushi, Malaysian food at the Banana Leaf, Thai food at Sala Thai, and Ukrainian food at the Ukrainian  Village. 


Dale and I discovered a new restaurant on Main Street called The Wallflower that serves delicious tofu dishes for breakfast and Chill Winston did not disappoint with its food or its wonderful patio. 

 
No visit to Vancouver would be complete without having something to eat from one of the many food carts. My choice this time was Mr. Shawarma, that served a very delicious Middle Eastern wrap. 
I love eating from food carts and although Vancouver has some good carts it cannot rival Portland, which has been dubbed the best place to have street food, with hundreds of carts throughout the city. 
I tried a few in Portland last year but it would take several,trips there to make a dent in their selection. 


My next trip will be to Peru in a month's time so stay tuned.........

2 comments:

  1. It's sad Betty-Lou that you visited my hometown and I wasn't there to greet you (damn those gremlins!) But glad you had a good time nonetheless. However if I had been I would have made sure to steer you to some of Vancouver's must see sites, which apparently you missed. Such as the hammock district (as relaxing as it sounds), the Vancouver mystery spot (what is it? who know's it's a mystery), the singing dog choir ensemble (who are great, as long as they're not being harassed by the cat ballet), that secret alley in Chinatown where they serve you dim sum and entertain you with the ancient art of kitten juggling, the haunted playground (speaks for itself) and last but certainly not least the world's oldest lightbulb, installed in the basement of the old firehall in 1903 and still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have enjoyed the read and look forward to following you in Peru. CHEERS PAT

    ReplyDelete