Tuesday 23 September 2014

The long and winding road

I am en route to the coast to cross another destination off of my bucket list, that destination being  Saltspring Island. Gwen, how many years ago did you move to Saltspring?  It would be about that many that I have told you that I was going to visit.  Well, the time is now. I am currently in a hotel in Tsawwassen and will be catching the ferry tomorrow morning. 

Today was a beautiful autumn day to be driving and with Charlotte as my traveling companion we headed out on the Crows Nest Highway, more familiarly referred to as the Hope Princeton Highway.  It is a slower, more scenic route and we stopped along the way at Olalla, Keremeos and Hedley. The trees are beginning to turn color, and even though they are not in full color, the fruit stands in Keremeos displayed their autumnal pumpkins and gourds. 


I love stopping in Hedley. It is quaint and charming......well, sort of, and maybe just a little weird, but that only adds to its allure.  It has a gold mining history so I could add it to the gold trails and ghost towns I have been to this year. 


No drive along this route would be complete without a stop in Hope at The Blue Moose.  They have delicious soups, scones and sandwiches and they brew a great cup of coffee.  That is a lot of customer satisfaction. 


We arrived at our destination in Tsawwassen and imagine my surprise when i walked into the lobby of the hotel and saw my name on a board declaring me the special guest of the day. This meant that I got a goodie bag and was upgraded to a suite. Woo Hoo. 


A great first day of a new road trip and Charlotte, if you read this, you have been a great traveling  companion. Don't let it go to your head though, we have a few days left together.  ðŸ˜‰

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, what was in the goodie bag? What a great surprise after a day of driving though. The towns along the highway seem to have a bit of the past in them making for a great journey. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy the road trip and what one can discover along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sis. It's good to see you are on another adventure. Drive safe, enjoy and we will follow your blog. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope being 'special guest of the day' didn't go to your head and you didn't become an insufferable celebrity making impossible demands, "You call these rags towels, Egyptian cotton, ever heard of it? And these sheets, what penitentiary did they come from, Alcatraz? I need 900 thread count at least or I can't sleep. You've ruined my lime rickey (throws in waiters face) now make it again! (To other waiter) And you, massage my feet!" For the record I don't believe you would, but celebrity does strange things to people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great start on your travels west. Have only been on the Hope/Princeton once and didn't take in the whole beauty of the drive and the interesting places along the way. Too busy wondering if my vans brakes would hold up and prying my white knuckles from the steering wheel. Enjoy. CHEERS PAT

    ReplyDelete