Wednesday 18 June 2014

Barkerville

My last trip to Barkerville was in 1975 and I remember nothing about it other than the church that I saw when I first entered the site.  



Because I spent so much of the day going to Likely and Quesnel Forks I didn't get to Barkerville until 5 p.m.  At this point the site was closing to the public (usually open 10 'til 4) so this ghost town was indeed a ghost town.  The only people on site after hours are the overnight guests (there were 7), three hosts and security.  The site had an eerie feel about it. 

My room was in 'Kelly House' and I stayed in the "white room".  The house was unpretentious and small but my room was quaint and cozy.  The only disadvantage was the shared bathroom but it was worth it to spend a night in Barkerville. 




This morning I awoke early and walked the streets of Barkerville in the crisp morning air before leaving for Dawson Creek. It was possible to look into many of the buildings and it was great having the place to myself. I met only one other guest out for a morning walk. 





On my drive out of Barkerville I saw two deer, two moose and one rabbit. I drove in to Wells and it looked like a place to spend some time in but for today I was too early and shops were closed. Maybe another time.  

After a another day of driving I have arrived in Dawson Creek. The drive for the most part was not very picturesque but the Pine Pass had some spectacular mountain views. 


Good night from Dawson Creek, mile 0 of the Alaska Highway. 




3 comments:

  1. Your room looks so cozy and Barkerville sounds neat - especially having it all to yourself (more or less). I hope you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to see a ghost town!

    ReplyDelete