Wednesday 18 June 2014

Likely and Quesnel Forks

After a breakfast of fruit, yogurt and a fresh blueberry scone, Steve took me out to visit the horses and walk with the dogs.  Healthy breakfast in a pastoral setting with horses and dogs...... By the way, Steve paints and gives the majority of the proceeds from his sales to the Diabetes Foundation, so how could I  refuse. 



I then drove to Likely, which was likely an hour drive, a good portion of which was on gravel roads. It was worth it to see the gem that is Likely at the end. It is tiny and charming and right beside the Quesnel River.  The population is only about 300 but add a hundred or so from miners that work in the area, both from mining companies and from placer mining. 


There is a restaurant/pub in town that sat empty and for sale for ten years. A retired couple from Williams Lake bought it this year and it is now open, and where I had lunch.  It is old and dated but so very inviting and (can I use the word again?) charming.  The bottom photo is of the pub.



I then took a narrow, gravel, deserted road into the woods to check out Quesnel Forks. Quesnel Forks is a mining ghost town. When most of the miners left, it was the Chinese that stayed until 1950.  It was creepy, because I was the only person there and it is so isolated. I got out to look at the cemetary but did not want to wander too far from the car due to the good possibility of bears. I had already seen a bear on the road just outside of Likely. 


I have only seen the one bear but one is enough and then i saw this sweet little fawn along the drive to Likely. 


The day doesn't end there but this post does. I will give Barkerville a separate post.  Tomorrow I drive to Dawson Creek. 

😊


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very nice scenic drive and interesting stops along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lovely day (and it's not even a full day). I would like to have seen the creepy ghost town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Explore British Columbia Isn't there a commercial like that? and it's what you are doing. Never been to Likley or Horsefly - think I'm okey about that. Enjoy the rest of your journey. CHEERS PAT

    ReplyDelete