Saturday 21 June 2014

Dawson Creek

I was thinking that my trip to this point could have been called "Gold Trails and Ghost Towns" but Bill Barlee has the rights to that title. I got to visit Horsefly, Likely, Quesnel Forks, and Barkerville - all part of the Cariboo Gold Rush and all so full of interesting history. 

I arrived in Dawson Creek yesterday where the gold is found in the influx of workers in the oil and gas industry. Accommodations are scarce here so thankfully I was offered my own guest 'cottage' in the form of  an RV.  It is also busy here with tourists wanting to drive the Alaska Highway and Dawson Creek is mile zero.  All tourists stop at the sign to have their photo taken here. 


Melinda and I went into a unique art gallery today which was built in an old grain elevator with a ramp that circles around, featuring art installations along the way. 


The highlight was the drive we took to Bear Mountain Wind Park where there are 34 energy producing turbines that produce power. They were massive and looked rather alien in appearance and
they had a gentle but eerie sounding whirrr. 



There were some spectacular views from Bear Mountain and the view on the ground took my breath away. That was my view of Riggs, Melinda's dog. Isn't he a beauty!  



We stopped at a small lake called Radar's Lake and watched the loons diving for food and listenened to the red winged blackbirds singing their songs and observed the thousands of tadpoles that would soon be big enough to join in nature's chorus. 



Many thanks to Melinda and Rob for being perfect hosts. Tomorrow I begin my return trip home. 

1 comment:

  1. It was fun being a tourist in my own town. Glad I got to see the Wind Park too. Like you said sometimes you need company to see something you never see otherwise. Hope the rest of your trip is full of blog worthy posts.

    ReplyDelete